Friday, March 16, 2012

Famous love letter by Victor Hugo to Adele Foucher

Victor Hugo fell in love with Adele Foucher, during his early teen age. There was not much support from his family, especially from his mother. After his mother’s death, he married Foucher. They were deeply in love and raised 5 children.

“My dearest,

When two souls, which have sought each other for, however long in the throng, have finally found each other ...a union, fiery and pure as they themselves are... begins on earth and continues forever in heaven.

This union is love, true love... a religion, which deifies the loved one, whose life comes from devotion and passion, and for which the greatest sacrifices are the sweetest delights.

This is the love, which you inspire in me... Your soul is made to love with the purity and passion of angels; but perhaps it can only love another angel, in which case I must tremble with apprehension.

Yours forever,

Victor Hugo (1821)”

Famous Love Letter by James Joyce to Nora Barnacle
James Joyce was romantically involved with Nora Barnacle, whom he finally married. Time and again many of his writings suggest that Nora was his biggest inspiration and closest companion. They began their courtship soon after they met, and finally got married in 1931. Although there was a lot of differences in them, yet they stayed together. In some of her writings, Nora has tagged Joyce as a weak man.

“15 August, 1904

My dear Nora,

It has just struck me. I came in at half past eleven. Since then I have been sitting in an easy chair like a fool. I could do nothing. I hear nothing but your voice. I am like a fool hearing you call me 'Dear.' I offended two men today by leaving them coolly. I wanted to hear your voice, not theirs.

When I am with you, I leave aside my contemptuous, suspicious nature. I wish I felt your head on my shoulder. I think I will go to bed.

I have been a half-hour writing this thing. Will you write something to me? I hope you will. How am I to sign myself? I won't sign anything at all, because I don't know what to sign myself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment